Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I do vintage

I love finding old vintage things. I currently own an old typewriter which you can seen pictured in my header, and I also own a vintage chest that I found at this antique store in Eugene, OR about 8 years ago. I don't know much about it, on top is the makers stamp but its partially obscured, and I've never really done any investigating to figure out how old it might be.


It has some water damage on the top,

which makes me think it traveled on a ship earlier in its life.



This is painted on the inside of the chest and is what I love most about it.




The painted section folds out revealing extra storage.


Which brings me to my story. Yesterday Justin's grandparents came over with one of their friends to see our chickens. In the course of their visit I was showing their friend Cleo my trunk. I opened the top section and as I was looking at it I noticed a piece of paper I've never seen before. As I pulled it out I figured that it went to one of the games I had kept in the trunk, however, as I opened it up I was shocked to find an old bank receipt. It was written March 29, 1909! Now I always knew the trunk was old but not over one hundred years old! Not to mention the fact that I've had this trunk for about 8 years and never before noticed this little gem.




It was made out for $7 dollars, which would roughly be the equivalent of $170 today. I'm still trying to figure out what the writing says, if you happen to figure something out let me know!


I plan on framing this ancient piece of paper, which in of itself is one hundred years old, and maybe someday I will find some traveling antique show to take it too. ;) Findings like this just fuel my desire to discover more old vintage things. Justin's grandpa told me of an old stand-up phone he used to have, Kendra has a vintage video camera of our grandparents. And while we may not always know the story behind each item, its fun to imagine who might have owned it once upon a time and what their life might have been like.


What vintage items do you own and whats their story? I'd love to hear!


Happy Wednesday all!

2 comments:

  1. I like to think the diamond in my ring is vintage. It came from grandpa afterall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that! Those are pretty old!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...